On this page, you will find out how we collect, use and store user data and what policies are in effect to ensure the security and safety of this information.
By using the Service, you consent to the collection of your data and other information that the service may use as it deems appropriate in improving the overall experience. The rules in this policy are subject to change at any time without prior notice. All registered users of the website will be informed of the said changes when they occur.
- Service: Refers to the website OntarioGambling.ca
- Personal Data: Users’ personal information to identify who they are. This information will be gathered from the Service itself and other sources.
- Usage Data: Information collected when you are visiting or using the Service, including the duration you spent on the website.
- Cookies: These are files with small data pieces that will be stored on your device: desktop, laptop, or phone, as you browse the website.
- Data Controller: The person responsible for managing the data. They will decide how the data will be processed and used in tandem with the service.
- Data Processors: These are the people who will handle the data for the Data Controller’s use. They are also referred to as Service Providers.
- Data Subject: This is the user or any person who uses the Service or any of its components (for example, specific pages on the website).
Use and Collection of Information
On OntarioGambling.ca, we will collect and store a number of data points. This information will only be used to provide the service efficiently and to improve the service already offered to the users.
Types of Data Collected
When a user accesses the service, personal data will be collected. This will be the information used to identify the user and will include, among other things:
- Full legal names
- Email addresses and any other contact information
- Usage Data and cookies
Personal data collected from the users will be used for marketing purposes, including sending users newsletters, promotions, and other literature to enhance their gaming experience. These will be sent from time to time. Users can unsubscribe from any of the service’s marketing lists by following the instructions at the bottom of the email they receive.
Usage Data collected by the service includes the IP address of the device used to access the website, including device identifiers, tracking of user activity on the website, duration of every visit to the website with time stamps, and other diagnostic data that may aid the service in improving the user experience.
Here are some examples of the cookies we use:
- Session Cookies - Used to track user activity to improve website functionality.
- Preference Cookies - Used to remember a user’s settings on their next visit.
- Security Cookies - Used to ensure the secure transfer of data between a user’s browser and the website.
- Advertising Cookies - Used to show ads that the user might be interested in.
Use of Personal Data on OntarioGambling.ca
The service will collect, use and store personal data for a number of reasons, including but not limited to the following:
- Maintain and improve the website’s user experience.
- Notify users of changes to the website’s use, terms, and policies.
- Improve user participation in new interactive features of the website.
- Provide excellent customer support.
- Request feedback from users about the website’s performance.
- Track usage and active sessions on the website
- Monitor the website for technical glitches and fix them as soon as they are detected.
- Send marketing and promotional materials, including service updates, to the users.
Legal Basis for Processing Data
- To fulfill any or all contractual obligations with the users.
- To improve user experience, as per the consent given to the service.
- To protect users’ rights, keeping the service's best interest in mind.
- To comply with laws and regulations.
Periodically, Ontario Gambling also uses the data for its own research to improve the security and performance functionality of the service. Personal Data will be kept longer than Usage Data, but in instances where we are mandated by law, usage data will be kept for a certain amount of time.
Transfer of Data to Offshore Servers
Disclosure of Data
The service will be obliged to share or disclose user data under certain circumstances. These include:
- Complying with requests from law enforcement
- Preventing any unlawful activity in relation to the use of service
- Protecting the rights and property of the service
- Protection of users' personal safety
- Protection against any legal liabilities
Guarantee of Data Security
Ontario Gambling continues to take the utmost steps to ensure users’ data security. We employ relevant safety protocols to safeguard all the data on our servers. However, given the rise in cyber threats, we cannot provide an absolute guarantee of security at all times.
User Rights under Data Protection Act
Users from the European Economic Area can exercise their right to data protection. If the personal data held by the service requires correction, the service will facilitate the request. If a user wants to know what personal data is being kept by the service, they can request the service to reveal said information.
Users can make the following requests under data protection rights:
- The right to view, modify, or remove any information we have about you.
- The right to correct any inaccurate information being maintained by us.
- The right to object to how Personal Data is being used.
- The right to limit the usage of Personal Data.
- The right to request all the data we have collected on you
- The right to withdraw consent on the usage of your Personal Data
Before responding to some of the abovementioned requests, the service may ask users to confirm their identity. The user may, at any time, file a complaint with the Data Protection Authority if they feel their data is being misused or mishandled.
Use of Service Providers
Ontario Gambling, exercising its discretion, may hire third-party service providers to support and assist with certain performance functions of the service. These service providers will have access to limited user data pertaining to the task they are employed by the service to undertake. The third-party service providers will be bound under this policy not to disclose or share any user data.
Use of Analytics
The service may use Clicky, a web analytics software, to track user activity, specifically how users interact with the service components (website pages). The service may perform periodic analytics or audits using this information to improve user experience.
Use of Advertising
Users will see advertisements being run on the service by third-party. The service uses ads to earn revenue, which is then used to maintain the service quality and improve the overall user experience.
Accessing Third-Party Links
Protecting the Privacy of Minors
In accordance with the laws, the service will not be accessible to anyone under the age of 18. No information will be collected or stored by the service of anyone under the legal age, i.e. 18 years. If a user, a parent, or a guardian, becomes aware of anyone under the legal age using the service, they are requested to contact Ontario Gambling immediately. Our support team will ensure the swift removal of said users and their personal information from our servers.